28
0
  • Fans of Borussia Dortmund have offered accommodation to visiting fans from Monaco after the bomb explosion delayed the match between Dortmund and Monaco | Image from WikiMedia

The first leg of the quarterfinal match between Borussia Dortmund and AS Monaco has been postponed until Tuesday after explosions were reported near the Dortmund team’s bus. The explosions occurred on their way to the stadium to play against the French team in the UEFA Champions League.

The explosions shattered windows and defender Marc Bartra sustained a wrist injury. According to a police statement, there were three explosions near the team bus of the German club. The explosives have allegedly been hidden in a hedge near a parking lot.

Due to this attack, UEFA has stated that “following tonight’s incident involving the Borussia Dortmund team bus, the Champions League match between Borussia Dortmund and Monaco has been postponed until tomorrow 6:45 local time.”

“This decision was made after a meeting held at the Westfalenstadion between UEFA, representatives of the two clubs and local authorities.”

Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke has made it clear that the injuries on Bartra’s arm and leg are not life-threatening. He also reiterated that the team needs to prepare for tomorrow’s match. The home team has been relocated to a secure location after the incident.

Narrating the incident, Borussia Dortmund keeper Roman Burki said: “We all ducked after the bang, and those who were able took cover lying on the floor. We did not know if it had already ended. The police were on-site soon. We are all shocked, and nobody thought about a football match during those minutes.”

Dortmund has told fans to retain their tickets for the match on Wednesday and informed Monaco fans to tweet #bedforawayfans if in need of accommodation.

Awful, average or astonishing? You decide:
Report