The Al shabaab. Source: Emaze
After strings of grenade and bomb attacks in Northern Kenyan, where over 50 people have been killed in the last one month, the Somalia-based terrorist group, the Al-Shabaab, massacred 9 people at the coastal county of Lamu on Friday 7th July, 2017.
According to security officers, the machete-wielding al-Qaeda-linked militants ambushed residents of Jima village, few kilometers from Pandaguo Police Station where the group killed three police officers earlier in the week. Residents told journalists they targeted men and threatened to wipe out everyone in the region so long as Kenyan forces remain in Somalia.
The Al-shabaab has been on a retaliatory spree since the East African nation launched a military offensive on them under the UN-funded African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM), most notably being the murder of 67 people in Westgate shopping Mall in Nairobi in 2013, the killing of 67 people in Mpeketoni in 2014, the death of 147 students at Garissa Univeristy in 2015 and the ambush of Kenyan military base in El-ade in Somalia in 2016.
There have been persistent calls to have the Kenyan military withdraw from the Somalia mission, but senior government officials believe such a move would be tantamount to conceding defeat to the terrorists. And as the campaigns for the 2017 presidential election gains momentum, the opposition National Super Alliance (NASA) has promised to withdraw the soldiers from the war-torn horn of African country should it emerge victorious.
Kenyans feel that too much campaigns is creating room for the terrorists to wreak more havoc on the country.
“I’m urging the president and his Cabinet to address the issue. We are losing property and numerous lives. The police and the civilians are not safe. Call off the campaigns and address the security situation.” Said Jamal Hassan, a resident of Garissa.